Learn the history of the port and the river and see a working port in a maritime setting. Personal, guided tours of our deepwater facilities and Inland Rivers Marine Terminal are available weekdays, by appointment. Free tours are available to school children, business groups and organizations.
During the walking tour, participants enjoy a beautiful view of the Mississippi River and see the different types of cargoes handled by the port. Seeing the port in action allows visitors to understand import and export concepts, transportation logistics and international trade. All visitors leave with a better understanding of the port’s role in the nation’s transportation network.
The Port of Greater Baton Rouge tour is a walking tour and mainly outside (weather permitting); therefore, comfortable clothing and flat shoes are recommended. Due to the heat in the summer months, it is suggested that tours be scheduled during the morning hours. Tours will be cancelled in the event of inclement weather.
About the tour:
- A photo identification or TWIC card is required along with an advance list of the tour participants.
- Safety is the number one priority while you tour the port area. All safety and security regulations must be followed at all times. No running or horseplay on the tour.
- The tour is best suited for school children in 4 th grade and older.
- Each tour group is escorted by a tour guide and must remain with the guide throughout the tour.
- Casual business attire and comfortable flat shoes are suggested; sneakers suggested for children.
- Every tour participant must sign an indemnification agreement.
- Children must be accompanied by parents or chaperones. Each child must have an indemnification agreement signed by a parent or chaperone. For large groups, it is strongly suggested that you get signatures on indemnification agreements prior to your tour date.
- School tour groups must have indemnification agreement signed prior to arriving at the port.
- Tour groups are responsible for their own transportation to the port.